Yesterday we stopped for lunch in one of the cute but overpriced lil cafe's at the zoo. My son in an attempt to show off in front of his Scout friends decided to snort pepper. The other boys giggled and my son was quite proud of himself.
My boyfriend teasingly told him it wasn't a very smart idea and that he was going to start calling him DA, (short for Dumb A**). Note, I wasn't thrilled with this acronym for two reasons. One, it didn't bother my son, he thought it was kind of funny which means he will likely repeat it. Two, even when joking I don't like name-calling of this nature. I think it sets a horrible example.
I stepped in and told my son to reply with YTD (Younger Then Dad) and grandpa stepped in and said or SG (Smart Guy). So of course we were giggling and coming up with acronyms right and left. That is, until my son decided to blurt out that he is STD (Smarter Then Dad). This resulted in all of the adults giggling which then led him to repeat it a few times, each time a little louder and a little more animated. At one point he did a little dance singing out, "I'm STD, STD, STD".
My boyfriend discreetly and quietly told him as appropriately as possible that it wasn't really a good acronym and carefully explained to him what else STD stood for. An older couple at a table near us gave us that "you are the worst parents in the world look" and a younger childless couple near us looked relieved and reminded as to why they have no children.
My son was quite pleased with himself for not only showing off to his friends, but for saying something "naughty" even if he didn't know what it meant at the time he was saying it. I apologized to the other Scout parents and found they thought it was hilarious as well and were not offended. Although a little embarrassing it gave me quite the laugh which I really needed. These are the moments that remind me I wouldn't trade him in for a thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment